Do you know the avatar your small business serves? For those of you who might not understand the meaning of the word avatar, it means the perfect customer or client you wish to serve and sell to in your small business.
I know lots of female small business owners never take time to identify their avatar, and to get to know that avatar in as much detail as possible.
It can be very detrimental to your small business success if you don’t take time to figure out who it is you want to show up and serve.
Not only should you figure out your avatar, but you should continue to travel a never ending journey of learning more about your perfect avatar, continuously building a library of knowledge about who that person is, so that you can serve them in exactly the way they need.
What I see a lot of small business owners do is become really excited about a great idea they have for a small business, and often that idea revolves around something they feel really passionate about. They want to be able to take that passion and turn it into a small business that makes money and changes their life for good.
There’s nothing inherently wrong with that. In fact I love to see ladies start and grow a small business they’re really passionate about.
However I see many female small business owners go about that business building journey the wrong way. I did exactly that when I first brought my business into the online space.
Quite often what happens is, we get all passionate and excited about this small business that we’re going to start, we feel really hyped up, motivated and excited about bringing that business to life.
We get started. We create a presence on a social media platform, we set up a website or a marketplace platform. We start to think about the products and services we want to sell. We get our focus on those products and services, and start to create them. Then we put them out there on our social media accounts, on our websites and our marketplace platforms.
We become really disappointed when those products and services don’t sell.
We get a month, three months, six months, 12 months, 18 months, three years, four years down the line, and we’re still sat there without big sales, without a bucket load of customers or clients, and we end up thinking things like:
- What is it that I am doing wrong?
- What’s stopping me from selling all of these products and services?
- Why is no-one interested in what I have to sell?
- What else do I have to do to get some or more sales in the bag?
- Is it that no-one wants what I’m selling?
One of the biggest and most fundamental reasons your products and services don’t sell is because you’ve been trying to make your products and services fit a market, rather than knowing your market in detail, and then creating products and services that serve their needs. These are two very different things.
Most female small business owners create products and services first, and then try to those things to their market, instead of getting to know their market exceptionally well, and then creating products and services that suit that avatar.
If you have not yet done so, I really want to encourage you to take a pause on creating more products and services that you’re trying to sell to anyone, and to sit and take some time to think about:
- Who is it that I really want to serve?
- What do I know about those people?
- How can I get to know everything I possibly can about those people, and in the greatest detail I can?
- How can I reframe my products and services and create messages for my business, and for my products and services so that they speak directly to my perfect avatar in a way that will resonate with them, because I know them so well?
- How can I craft everything I do in my business in a way that is geared to suit my avatar perfectly?
When thinking about your perfect avatar, you need to know information like:
- Are they male or female?
- What age range are they?
- Do they have jobs?
- Are they stay at home moms?
- Do they have children?
- Have they got children that have flown the nest?
- What sort of income levels do they have?
- Where are they located?
- What sort of hobbies do they have?
- What are the things that keep them awake at night worrying?
- What are the things that they are looking for solutions to?
- What are the conversations they are having with their partner at the kitchen table every night?
- Where are they hanging out?
- Where do they go and visit?
- What do they like to look at?
- What do they like to read?
- What TV shows are they watching?
- Where are the places that they’re hanging out online?
- What are they searching Google for solutions to?
- What it is they want in their lives?
You have to go deep into learning about your perfect avatar.
You should take time to build this sort of knowledge base about your avatar, because if you don’t have that information, you can’t show up and serve your avatar in a way that is so meaningful to them, that when they come across your small business, they think “Oh, my God, this woman, this small business owner knows me so well! I think she knows me better than I know myself. And not only does she know me, but she also has products and services that are literally the things that I’ve been looking for, that provide me with the solution I’ve been searching for”.
If you can’t get your avatar to think like that through the messaging you use, and the well aligned products and services you sell, you’re going to struggle to build an audience and make decent money in your business.
With my own business, Female Entrepreneur School, I’ve build a lot of information about the ladies I serve (my avatar). Four years into my journey I’m still I’m constantly adding to that information.
Over time, I’ve been able to build out a big library of knowledge about who my avatar is, including:
- They are female small business owners working from home.
- They might have a full or part time job they’re looking to leave.
- They have children.
- They have many responsibilities in their day to day lives. They’re trying to juggle those responsibilities at the same time as trying to get their small business out there making money for them.
- They lie in bed at night and think about how they make more sales in their small business.
- They question how they market their business.
- They wonder how to get more confident as a small business owner.
- They struggle with overwhelm and getting in their own heads.
- They find it hard to figure out what the next best and most logical steps are for their small businesses.
- They desperately want to build a small business that not only changes their lives financially, but changes their family’s lives for the better too.
- They want a small business that gets them out of debt, so that they can enjoy all of the niceties of life.
I record all of the information I have about my avatar inside my Avatar workbook (the workbook goes alongside a deep dive avatar training inside my UNSTOPPABLE CLUB. Find out about that Club HERE).
I’m always adding more and more information about my avatar to my workbook, providing me with deep insight in to who they are.
If you go to the sales page for my UNSTOPPABLE CLUB HERE, and you look at that sales page, you’ll notice that one of the first things on that page is a list of all of the key things I know female small business owners working from home either worry about, have challenges with, or want in their life.
There’s a big long list on that sales page that speaks directly to my avatar. If you’re a female small business owner working from home, chances are when you read that list, some of the bullet points on there will resonate with you.
Because I know my avatar in detail, when I’m selling my products and services, when I’m showing up on social media, when I’m talking to female small business owners in DMS, or via email or in WhatsApp, first of all, I get them because I know them.
More importantly, my avatar gets that I get them. And because they get that I get them, they buy into me, they buy from me, they buy into my business.
No matter where you are in your own small business journey, if you’ve not got real clarity about your avatar, your small business success will be taking a hit.
Knowing your avatar is the thing that will help you get your business to the next level.
Knowing your avatar is a super, super important part of your business.
I’d hazard a guess that most female small business owners don’t pay enough attention to this.
If you want to learn how to get real clarity about your avatar, to improve the way you show up and serve, there’s a deep training inside my UNSTOPPABLE CLUB, along with a workbook and some prompts to walk you through learning about the perfect avatar for your small business. If you’d like to check out the UNSTOPPABLE CLUB simply click here.
Catch you for another post real soon.